Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Fear is Temporary, Regret is Permanent

Before arriving in South Africa, I knew bungee jumping was something that I wanted to do. The Bloukrans Bridge Bungee jump is the highest commercial bungee bridge in the world. It is about three hours away from Grahamstown in Titsikamma between the Eastern and Western Cape. 


The bridge bungee is 216 meters (709 feet) above the Bloukrans River. It is operated by Face Adrenalin since 1997. The first bridge to be bungee jumped off of in Africa was the Bloukrans River Bridge. 



On Thursday morning, we (Alex, Jenna, Kara, and myself) woke up early (6am... for those who know me, you know that im not a morning person), and drove three and a half hours to the site. The whole ride down (which was mostly spent sleeping), I was totally fine, not really thinking about it. However, the second we got out of the car and I saw the bridge, the nerves kicked in. We got suited up, took a few pictures, and then headed down to the bridge. 




The terrifying bridge walk. Basically it is a steel cage under the freeway. Looking down may have been one of my worst decisions. 
Finally after being told what we were going to do, they announced the order and I was last to go. 
Our group
After watching everyone else go, it was finally my turn. After being reassured multiple times that everything was ok, and having them triple check everything, they picked me up and carried me to the edge. Seeing my toes peer over the edge of a gorge was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. The men counted me down "5-4-3-2-1" and I jumped. I honestly had no idea what possessed me to jump other than the fact that not jumping wasn't an option. Free falling was one of the most exhilarating and terrifying experiences of my life. Quickly falling towards the ground was horrific, but the experience was unforgettable.







After my favorite man came down to bring me back up, I got unhooked and took some pictures. It was honestly one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life! Free falling through the air was an indescribable feeling-- and the view didnt hurt.




Here are a few more pictures of the day! From now on, just jump! 




No comments:

Post a Comment