Monday, June 24, 2013

Twas the Last Night in South Africa

Twas the night before leaving, I was sitting in PE (port elizabeth),
Doing last minute packing, oh golly gee. 
My luggage was spread around the room, what a mess, 
In hopes it would be ready in time, twas the ultimate test.

It felt so unreal that it was already June, 
My mind would not accept it, it was way too soon!
Five months had flown by since I came here alone, 
And now it is time for me to leave my new home.

As I lay in bed, and look back on the time, 
It is crazy to think that these memories will be some of my prime. 
These months have flown by, without as much as a warning, 
It is time now that I enter my mourning.

Grahamstown, of Grahamstown, how I love thee so, 
You have taught me to relax, and go with the flow. 
With High Street, New Street, and Africa Street too, 
We never were short of things that we could do.

While lectures were early, and classes were short, 
I think i've forgotten just how to do work. 
Wednesdays were nights to go out on the town, 
But on Fridays and Saturdays you'd also see me around. 

Beit House became my new place of residence, 
You'd think that the food would've had some more subsidence.
It was weird to live with 70 other girls, 
But sisterhood was formed and our love as pure as pearls. 

Bars became the meeting place for us all, 
With Friars, Pirates, and the Rat, we were in for the long haul. 
"The internationals", we had quite a reputation, 
It's amazing we didn't get put on probation. 

Afternoons were spent at the pol, 
Although the sunburns I got were not all that cool. 
The library was a place I only dared enter twice, 
My reputation would be doomed if I dare try a trice. 

Taking Africa in Crisis and Zimbabwean History
I quickly learned how much of this world, to me, was a mystery.
Professor Msindo liked to tell us we were dumb, 
Though secretly I think he just wanted to keep us under his thumb.

Fall vac (or spring break) was spent on the road,
With ninteen days to explore, it was quite the heavy load. 
The Garden Route to Cape Town, we saw quite a lot, 
Next time we may try and rent a large yacht.

Animals, oh yeah, we saw those too, 
Lions, zebras, ostriches, so much better than a zoo. 
I got to ride an elephant as well, 
Gliding high above the ground, thank God no on fell!

Speaking of falling, I jumped off a bridge, 
Blourkans, my goodness, you taught me to live. 
Hearing "5-4-3-2-1 JUMP", 
Your heart begins to rapidly thump.

The accents, my goodness, I could not forget those, 
Though after five months of listening, I think we became pros. 
And rugby, the sports that takes over the nation, 
The Springboks have flown to international admiration. 

Geoff, our advisor, oh what a guy, 
He was there to make sure that we could get by. 
Sisa was another important person to know, 
The designs he made in lattes, twas a coffee Van Gogh.

I'm sure there is more i'm forgetting to mention, 
But it is impossible to give every detail its proper attention. 
Rhodes, the university that became my home, 
Made it truly impossible to ever feel alone.

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, 
It is time to wrap up this poem my dear friend.
I won't cry because it's over, but smile because it happened, 
This experience had meant more to me than I can begin to comprehend. 

I have seen so much, and learned even more, 
This country, South Africa, I have come to adore. 
And so I will leave you with these parting words my friend, 
Every new beginning comes from some other beginnings end.

No comments:

Post a Comment