Friday, February 22, 2013

American in Africa


            What I have found extremely interesting is the fact that I have been asked more in South Africa about my perspective and opinions on gun control than I did back home. I know Americans are infamous for not talking about controversial issues, which is why I have been so off guard with frequently being asked about guns. One of the first times I was asked was on my friend Kara’s 21st birthday. I was standing outside the bar when three guys approached me. After chatting for a few minutes, and them immediately knowing I was American, one of then said, “I have been waiting to talk to an American. Tell me your views on guns”. Needless to say that was not a conversation I was anticipating having at 1AM on a Thursday morning. After explaining how gun sales and ownership has previously worked in the states, and my personal belief of a need for regulation, he continued to ask me about the NRA and their influence. I hope that I was able to answer most of his questions but I found it quite difficult to speak for the American people on that issue.  It is such a controversial topic that it is hard to remain both objective and explain both sides equally.
            A few days later in history, our professor made some comment about how Americans are finally deciding to consider smaller cars, which would help to lower oil prices. The whole class started laughing at that. After class, I spoke with another exchange student about that comment. We spoke about how the cultural norms are often left out of perceptions of Americans. For instance, we know that smaller cars are more environmentally friendly, however big cars tend to be a status symbol in the US, and not only that but it has become part of the American way. Think about the soccer mom phenomenon. It’s mini-vans and explorers. I brought up that I had been asked a lot about gun control and she mentioned that she had as well. We spoke about how difficult it was to explain the cultural aspects of gun ownership in the States. Most people who have asked me simply don’t understand why we can carry guns. It is hard to explain that since it is apart of our constitution it has become engrained in our society.
            Hopefully as I spend more time and continue to get to know more people, I can continue to have these conversations. As difficult as something’s are to explain, I am thrilled every time someone asks me about issues in the United States. These types of conversations are part of the reason I chose to come to South Africa and I am so excited that I am already getting the opportunity to engage in these discussions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment