Wednesday, May 29, 2013

She Just Turned 21: A Tale of Three Birthdays

I was lucky enough that I got to spend my 21st birthday here in South Africa, and I was even luckier that I got to celebrate it three times! 

Our first celebration was on May 12 and was spent with Geoff (our advisor here) and his family. Geoff picked us up bright and early and took us to his community church. It was about six families who attend once a month with two ministers, one from Mozambique and the other from Cape Town. 


It was a very unique service since it was dedicated to us Boston girls. The priest spent most of the service saying how we were in solidarity with one another and that South Africa will always love Boston. It was truly a beautiful service and gave many of us the closure we needed after the bombings. 

Towards the end of the service, they asked me to come front and center. I guess before we had gotten there Geoff had told them that it was my 21st birthday so they wanted to give me a special blessing. The priest stood with me and prayed that I would continue to prosper and thanked God that I had been blessed with such a wonderful 21 years of life. He also thanked God that my path had led me to South Africa and how blessed the country was that I was apart of it. It was one of the more heartfelt things and I can truly say that most people dont get a special blessing from a South African priest on their 21st birthday. 



After the service, we all went outside where Geoff's wife had baked me a birthday cake. We sat around with the congregation eating cake and I received congratulations from all the members. After a great hour of socializing, we headed back to town and went out to lunch. Since it was Mother's Day, Geoff's sons joined us to celebrate with their mother. 
The BC girls and our psedo-mom!


Once we finished our beautiful lunch, we headed back out of town to Geoff's farm! We spend the afternoon driving around and getting to see the landscape! It was truly a spectacular day!!!
Geoff showing us a map of his landschape




The Protea (National flower of South Africa)


On Monday, it was my actual birthday. My day was filled with hugs, letters, sprinkles in my coffee. Everyone made it a special day. For my birthday I decided to just have a casual dinner with some friends. Little did I know but Jenna had planned a surprise dinner for me with all the international girls! I walked into the restaurant and saw 14 people sitting around the table! It was absolutely wonderful. I got showered with letters, cake, and little presents. Birthday #2 (the real one) was a success. 
The other birthday girl, SoSo

And finally the bar party. Wednesday night is the big going out night in Grahamstown so I decided that Wednesday would be the night I would do a proper 21st birthday. Needless to say everything went as planned and I celebrated my 21st in true American style. 


What this birthday has made me realize is how many wonderful friends I have made here in Grahamstown. For them to plan a surprise dinner, celebrate three times with me, buy me a crown and button, I truly am blessed beyond words!

No comments:

Post a Comment