Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Final Countdown

It's finally here- one month left. I figure that this is a great opportunity to look back at my semester so far and what I have learned. One of the first ways to look at the past 4 months is a pro/con list of South Africa.

Things I like about SA:
-Feeling of community and family. You can see this in the concept of ubuntu, which I have referenced multiple times. Also in the isiXhosa language. In isiXhosa, you refer to every woman and man older than yourself as mama and tata. And for everyone younger or your own age you call them sisi (sister) or bhuti (brother). It is such a beautiful concept that everyone you meet is part of your family. Even the women in the town will greet me as "hello my daughter", "hello my love". There is such a sense of love in South Africa that is truly beautiful. 
-The landscape. I got to see this especially during our road trip, but South Africa is truly a beautiful country. 
-The resilience. Apartheid ended just 20 years ago, and the reconciliation and progress this country has made is unbelievable  By no means is everything perfect, but overall it appears to have been a smooth transition. 
-Rugby. I absolutely love this sport. The physicality  the fact that there are basically no rules, and the environment in general is absolutely addictive.
-The accent. Need I say more? 
-Nelson Mandela. Seriously who comes out of twenty seven years in a maximum security prison to become President? And an extremely loving and forgiving one at that. 

Things I don't like about SA:
-Birds. There are sooo many birds in Grahamstown and they have no concept of time. I swear I almost hear more birds at night than I do during the day. 
-Spiders. Especially the huge ones that hide in my room. I could definitely do without them.
-People constantly being barefoot. In class, the library, restaurants. It is weird and really gross. 
-Rhodes class schedule. Classes are extremely sporadic and are at different times everyday. For example I have history: Monday:10:30-11:45, Tuesday: 11:25-13:05, Wednesday: 7:45-8:30, 11:25-13:03, Thursday: 8:40-9:25. Literally a different time everyday.
-Beggars. It is really awkward when you are walking to the grocery store and are asked by five different people for money. Obviously you cannot give to every person you see. It is also extremely difficult when they are children. I have been warned by everyone here not to give to children because the money goes straight to drugs, but it is easier said than done when you have a five year old following you down the street. 
-The vast inequality. South Africa and even Grahamstown is plagued with vast inequality. In Grahamstown alone, you will find one neighborhood with mansions, a country club, and private boarding schools, and just five minutes away you will be in the township. South Africa is truly one of the most unequal countries in the world. 
-Water/ electricity shortages. Now I know I was suppose to expect this one, but when suddenly you have to go five days without water or the town went over its quota on electricity and you have no power for ten hours, you realize how truly thankful you are when you have it. 

I also realize how much I have to be thankful for. While I am sure that Europe would have been a lot of fun, I could not have been more happy that I choose South Africa, and Grahamstown in particular. I have been given the chance to fully integrate myself into the community, live among the locals, learn the language, and truly be able to consider myself a member of this university and community. I no longer just see myself as an American in Grahamstown, but as a Rhodes student. 

I have gotten to form relationships that will last me for years to come, and some that will stay with me the rest of my life. I have been exposed to challenges I never thought I would face, and some of the realities that exist in other countries. I have seen racism and sexism as well as love and compassion. I have learned things that I never knew I didn't know. I have grown so much and have learned so much, that I truly think I will come back from this experience a more aware of some of the issues South Africa, and Africa as a whole face, as well as being more aware of how much I dont know. 

One thing I have taken away is an understanding of how our media tends to portray things. I can remember the TIME cover from the beginning of March that publicized "South Africa's culture of violence". While South Africa may not be the safest country in the world, honestly what is? If I was to believe everything I was told before coming here, than I would have missed out on one of the best experiences of my life. 

While unfortunately the last month will be filled with exams, something no one looks forward to, I cannot wait to keep building relationships and exploring Grahamstown. Four months down, one to go. 


No comments:

Post a Comment