Monday, May 20, 2013

The True Cape Town: Rugby & Table Mountain

On Friday night, Lauren, Alex, Rachel & I got tickets to go see the Cape Town Stormers, the provincial rugby team. Rugby is the national sport of South Africa and to say it is a big deal is an understatement. The Stormers were playing the Crusaders (New Zealand). We were told that it would be a sold out game so we were excited to say the least. We dressed in blue, hopped in a cab and headed to the stadium. Stepping out of the cab we were greeted with tailgates, cheering fans, and vendors lining the streets. Needless to say I was in my element. After walking around for a bit, we decided to head into the stadium. Little did I know when I was booking, our tickets were about ten rows from the field. I almost didn't feel worthy enough to have such good tickets! 















Another very Captonian thing to do is visit Table Mountain. Table Mountain is the flat-topped mountain forming the prominent landmark overlooking Cape Town. It is featured on the flag of Cape Town and other local government insignia. Table Mountain is one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World!

 After attending Easter Mass with Kate, we all decided that we were going to hike Table Mountain. Now in hindsight, I realize that I definitely did not realize that it was a legitimate mountain, not a casual Sunday stroll. With no water, warm clothes, or bandaids, I was ill-prepared to say the least. 

The hike: 
So we were going to the very very very top of that. Little did we know we had a four hour hike ahead of us at that time. 

 

My favorite parts... the flat ones. 

Obviously took a break to throw some rocks.

Luckily we were rewarded with amazing views the whole way up! 

That narrow pathway between the two peaks is what we had to climb for the last hour and a half. It is literally straight up. 

After a four hour hike and many breaks we made it! Here are some pictures of once we got to the top:




  
Cape Town! Off to the left (upper corner) you can see a small island. That is Robbin Island, the notorious prison where Nelson Mandela was held. Also if you look by the water in front of the hill on the left, you can see a white circle. That was the world cup stadium! 




I couldn't escape without a few cuts and bruises.Luckily some quick first aid on the hike kept bleeding to a minimum. 



We decided that after that hike we deserved to take the cable car down. 
We did it!
Overall I am so proud that I did it and I am also glad that I was as naive as I was going into the climb. I could not have asked for a better way to spend my Easter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment